Tuesday, 26 July 2016

GSOC 2016- Developing tests for Image Properties feature of Google Vision module- Week 8

TL;DR In the past two weeks I had worked on using the Image Properties feature offered by the Google Cloud Vision API to group the image files together on the basis of the dominant color components filling them. In addition, I had also worked on detecting the image files and filling the Alternate Text field based on the results of Label/Landmark/Logo/Optical Character Detection, based on the demand of the end user. This week, I have worked on and developed tests to ensure that the similar images are grouped in accordance to the Image Properties feature of the Vision API.

At present, the Google Vision API module supports the Label Detection feature to be used as taxonomy terms, the Safe Search Detection feature to avoid displaying any explicit contents or violence and the User Emotion detection to detect the emotions of the users in their profile pictures and notify them about it.

I had worked on grouping the images on the basis of the dominant color component(Red, Green or Blue) which they are comprised of. I got the code reviewed by my mentors, and they approved it with minor suggestions on injecting the constructors wherever possible.
Following their suggestions, I injected the Connection object instead of accessing the database via \Drupal::database().

After making changes as per the suggestions, I started developing simple web tests for this feature, to ensure that the similar images gets displayed under the SImilarContents tab. It requires the creation of new taxonomy vocabulary and adding an entity reference field to the image file entity. After the creation of the new Vocabulary and addition of the new field to the image file, I created the image files using the images available in the simpletests. The images can be accessed through drupalGetTestFiles(). The first test ensures that if the Vocabulary named ‘Dominant Color’ is selected, the similar images gets displayed under the file/{file_id}/similarcontent link.

The grouping, however, requires call to the Google Cloud Vision API, thus inducing dependency on the API key. To remove the dependency, I mocked the function in the test module, returning the custom data to implement the grouping.

To cover the negative aspect, i.e. the case when the Dominant Color option is not selected, I have developed another test which creates a demo vocabulary to simply store the labels, instead of the dominant color component. In this case, the file/{file_id}/similarcontent link displays the message “No items found”.

I have posted the patch covering the suggestions and tests on the issue queue to be reviewed by my mentors. Once they review it, I would work on it further, if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment